The older I have grown, the more I have learned, the further I have traveled, the more doubts I have about many things. I am not as dogmatic about many things as I used to be. I have been asked too many questions and seen too much of life to claim certainty on several subjects that I used to be absolutely persuaded about.
BUT a corollary reality has developed...a few of my big rocks have grown much larger and firmer than ever AND the sand has become uglier and more treacherous and deeper than I ever imagined.
Jesus is still THE solid rock...and all other rocks gain their stability from His Word.
A few of My Solid Rocks are...
1. Life is about eternity. (Life doesn't make sense if it's 80 and out)
2. Relationships count. (How I love really matters.)
3. Marriage is wonderful if centered in Christ. (Wrecked marriages are everywhere but a great marriage rocks)
4. Prayer really works. (It's just tried too infrequently and believed in too little)
5. All is vanity except that which God endorses (The most famous people and accomplishments are vapor)
6. The best way to live is found in the teachings of Jesus. (His words actually work!)
7. The only thing that doesn't change over time is Jesus and His Word. (It's why he's the SOLID rock.)
8. The Church, in all its imperfection, is the only organization worthy of my life's work.
There are more solid rocks in my life....but these cover much of my reality.
As the sinking sand around me grows, it's good to know I've got some solid rocks.